If you have been a victim of fraud it is important to report it as fraud is a crime and fraudsters will constantly reinvent themselves to find new ways of tricking people.  Anyone could be a victim.

Report a fraud
Action Fraud is the UK's national fraud reporting centre who provide a central point of contact for information about fraud.  The services is run by the National Fraud Authority - the government agency that helps to co-ordinate the fight against fraud in the UK.

Some examples of frauds that should be reported to Action Fraud include fraudsters contacting you remotely and telling you that there is a problem with your computer and that they can fix it for a fee, or Identity Fraud - personal details, accounts, cards or cheques were used without permission to get money, goods or to set up an account.

To report a fraud to Action Fraud click here to use their online fraud reporting tool or call 0300 123 2040 to speak to a specialist fraud advisor.

I have received a phishing scam

You can help the fight against phishing and other scams by forwarding the scam to the institution involved, or other specialist organisations tasked with preventing phishing.

Report a phishing scam
They will then look into identifying and shutting down web sites, domain names and email addresses used by fraudsters, improving user protection systems like anti-phishing toolbars and anti-spyware products, and improving anti-spam filters so that fewer spam emails get through.

Forward a phishing email to Bank Safe Online
Forward a phishing email to the Anti Phishing Working Group

I am a victim of financial fraud involving credit or debit cards

If you believe you are a victim of identity fraud that has involved the use of plastic cards (such as credit and debit cards), online banking, or cheques, report it directly to the financial institution concerned.

Report a financial fraud
If you believe you are a victim of identity fraud that has involved the use of plastic cards (such as credit and debit cards), online banking, or cheques, report it directly to the financial institution concerned.  They are responsible for undertaking further verification and investigation, and, as appropriate, reporting cases of criminal activity directly to the police where they will be recorded and subsequent investigation considered. It should be noted that this process is applicable to England, Wales and Northern Ireland only.

Click here for a list of card issuer's lost and stolen cards telephone numbers

These changes to the reporting of plastic card, online banking and cheque fraud were introduced by the Home Office on 1 April 2007, following discussion with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and the financial sector, to reduce the level of bureaucracy involved in fraud recording, and to streamline the reporting and initial investigation of such frauds.

I have seen illegal content or been a victim of abuse
If you have been the victim of or seen Child sexual abuse content and criminally obscene adult content report it here. If you are in immediate danger or want urgent help call 999 or contact your local police.

Report illegal content or abuse
The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) is the UK Hotline for reporting illegal content, specifically child sexual abuse content hosted worldwide and criminally obscene content hosted in the UK. By reporting illegal content through the IWF notice will be given to the Police or Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) and notice sent to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) of any illegal content.
Report illegal content at www.iwf.org.uk

There are a number of ways to receive help and advice as well as the option to report any instance of sexual contact or harmful material to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP). You are doing the right thing and by taking this action you may not only help yourself but also help make other people safer as well.
Report abuse at http://www.ceop.police.uk/reportabuse/